Saturday, October 26, 2013

DIY: Lace Cat Ears

I'm back after a crazy week full of midterm projects and work. I have finally whipped up a DIY project for you guys.

I first saw lace cat ears last spring in a French magazine and thought they were really cool! I then recently saw Taylor Swift wearing something similar in one of her music videos and am now starting to see them in stores.

Inspiration:

My Version:


I decided to add a bow to mine to give it a "daintier" and less "costume-y" look.

Okay, let's get started! You will need:

1/8 of a yard of Black lace
Black Thread
Sewing Needle
Floral Wire
Black Ribbon
Wire Cutters
Black Headband

Step One: Cut out desired wire for the shape of cat ears. I cut about 4 1/2" for mine. Although, mine are a bit smaller than what I would have liked. It's all up to how big you want the cat ears to be. You could also easily make bunny ears too!



Step Two: Once you have your wire cut out, shape your cat ears into a triangle form.


Step Three: Use your ears to trace the shape to cut out of the lace. Make sure you add enough room for sewing! You're going to need FOUR shapes in total.


Step 4: You're going to sew the pieces together. Make sure you leave the bottom open! After sewing, make sure you turn the lace inside out so it looks like the next picture. You're also going to then insert the wire part of the ear.



Step Five: You're now going to hand sew the ears on the headband. Make sure you loop around the actual wire when sewing.


You'll end up with these cat ears!! That was pretty simple right?!


You can get ribbon to make a bow for that special touch or take a bow of an old headband like I did.


This is the final product! I hope you guys found this tutorial to be helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions!










No comments:

Post a Comment