Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Missing Alaska

It's been a little over a month since I got back from my trip to Alaska and I've finally decided to share my favorite highlights. 

Everyone has asked me, "Why Alaska?" One of my best friends moved up there a couple of years ago and I finally got the chance to visit her. The other question has been, "Why visit in October?" I wanted a high chance of seeing the Northern Lights and I did see them, TWICE!

These are the places that I absolutely loved! (In chronological order)

1.  Gulliver's Books - Fairbanks, AK


As a book lover, of course I had to check out this quiet little bookstore. Downstairs has new books and novelty gifts. While upstairs has a coffeeshop and used book section. I left with a poetry book about Alaska for a gift and a sticker for my laptop.



2. Chena Hot Springs Resort

This was the main HIGHLIGHT of my trip! We drove out to the resort where there was no cell phone reception or wifi (I actually had no reception the whole trip). It was out into what seemed like the middle of no where. It was a quiet place with a restaurant, cafe, ice museum, and of course the hot springs. It was also the place where I experienced the Northern Lights for the first time. 

Getting into 106 degree water while it was 8 degrees outside was quite an experience. You'd think you'd be freezing, but the temperature of the water balances it out. It also keeps you warm enough for you to go inside the locker room without feeling too cold. 



3.  Santa Claus House - North Pole, AK

This was such a fun stop! The North Pole is a real city and Santa Claus House is a large Christmas store! Actually, I think they're known for sending out letters from Santa. I have a tradition where I buy an ornament from every place I travel to and this was the perfect spot to buy mine.


4.  Eagle Summit 

I'm not really an outdoorsy person, but after this trip, I'm willing to be more outdoorsy.   I think Eagle Summit was what really made me appreciate nature even more. 

Eagle Summit was one of the most breathtaking places I've ever seen. I found it more beautiful than the handful of major cities in the States and Europe that I've been to. There was something really special about how quiet and vast it is. The fact that you're seeing mountains on mountains is really beautiful. I don't think it would have been this special if there hadn't been snow on the ground. 



I definitely plan on going back, but maybe during a summer. If you haven't been up there, I HIGHLY recommend making the trip.

-A. 


No comments:

Post a Comment